Anderson County’s first public library was granted by the Carnegie Foundation in 1908. By 1968, when federal funding for local libraries was cut and the current library board formed, the library needed more space.
The Pierian Club building, the current site of the History Room, was acquired by the Lawrenceburg Woman’s Club in 1905. It is estimated to have been built by the town of Lawrenceburg’s founder circa 1818, and may be the oldest building in Lawrenceburg. The Woman’s Club donated the building to the library board and transferred the deed in 1973.
That year, APL sold the building that had housed the library since the Carnegie grant and began construction on an addition to the donated building. The original Anderson Public Library building on North Main opened on September 30, 1974. Since then, the library has been renovated twice, once in 2003 and again in 2017.